Monmouth Arts Presents The Charles Sills Memorial Group Art Exhibit: Reinvention
Long Branch Arts and Cultural Center
Wednesday, November 8, 2023 to Thursday, November 30, 2023
Opening Reception: Thursday, November 9, from 6-8:00pm
Monmouth Arts invites members to submit work for our annual member exhibition. How does the theme of REINVENTION connect to your artwork, creative process, personal life, community, or professional journey? For some, the act of reinvention brings with it a sense of renewal or release; for others, it’s a focus on sustainability or giving new life to an object or idea. Is reinvention a “one and done” or are we continuously reinventing ourselves? We invite the vibrant, creative community of Monmouth County to submit works that explore the definitions of Reinvention. Those artists interested in submitting must be current members of Monmouth Arts and agree to the exhibition guidelines.
Monmouth Arts is pleased to be showcasing this year’s curated group exhibit in the Long Branch Arts and Cultural Center, a historic bank building that experienced its own reinvention when it was transformed into a beautiful gallery and community space in 2021.
The Monmouth Arts annual member exhibit – now in its sixth year – is named for Dr. Charles Sills, who was a painter, sculptor, collector, and supporter of the arts. He retired from his role as the Chief of Surgery at Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch in 2000. His work has been shown at many galleries in Monmouth County and he won awards from New York's Allied Artists of America as well as Knickerbocker Artists.
The exhibition will be guest co-curated by Tara Collins, area artist and Education Coordinator for Monmouth Museum. Tara’s connection to the arts community runs deep. She has worked for Parlor Gallery for ten years, the last two years as an art consultant, she is an art instructor, and she writes monthly artist interviews for the triCityNews.
- Accepted work includes drawing, mixed media, painting, fine crafts, photography, lithographs, video, and sculpture.
- No submission fee, but current membership with Monmouth Arts is required. Artists who would like to become new members and submit may use the discount code REINVENT to receive $10 off the $40 artist membership rate. For more information and an online membership form, please go to www.monmoutharts.org/join-us. Student memberships are free.
- Artwork must have been made in the last five years and not have been presented in past Monmouth Arts exhibitions. Reproductions of original works will not be accepted.
- Drop off and pick up of accepted work to and from the Long Branch Arts and Cultural Center is the responsibility of the artist.
- Artwork sold through Reinvention is subject to a 30% fee to support Monmouth Arts programming. Monmouth Arts will collect the purchase price for all work, take a 30% sales commission, and issue a check for the remainder to the artist at the close of the exhibition.
- Submissions must be entered through Submittable. After reading the guidelines on this page, you will find the link to create or log in to your Submittable account. There is no cost to create a Submittable account.
- Submissions are limited to a maximum of three (3) entries.
- Submissions must include contact information, artist statement, artwork information (title, media, size (H x W x D), year completed, and price (must indicate NFS if not for sale).
- Images of artwork must be JPEG format with resolution of 300 dpi/ppi. Rename images with Title_EntryNumber_Media_SIze_Year_Price.
- Wall-hung items must be appropriately framed, edges adequately finished and must be properly wired as the hanging medium. No saw-tooth hangers or metal eyelets will be accepted. Frames must be free of defects and of “sturdy” construction. Canvas wrapped paintings are acceptable (not raw canvas edges.)
- Three-dimensional works must be stable and stand on their own or be submitted with adequate display stands. Three-dimensional artwork cannot exceed 5′ h x 3′ w and not weigh more than 75 pounds.
- All work must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
Application Open: September 7, 2023
Application Deadline: Thursday, October 5, 4:00pm
Notifications: Friday, October 13
Artwork Dropoff: October 30 - November 3 (8:30am - 4:30pm)
Opening Reception: Thursday, November 9, 6pm - 8pm
Exhibit Dates: November 8 - November 30
Artwork Pickup: December 4 - December 8 (8:30am - 4:30pm)
Please read and accept the complete Terms and Conditions from Monmouth Arts included in the application form.
For assistance or questions about submitting please contact Connie Isbell, Membership & Community Engagement Director, at email@example.com; 732.212.1890 ext 3.