Monmouth Arts is a leading, independent, 501c(3) arts advocacy organization that delivers needed programs and services to artists, member organizations, and art affiliates to ensure the arts thrive in every corner of Monmouth County, New Jersey. Assistance and support from Monmouth Arts is accessible in the form of funding, advocacy, programming, policy development, leadership, outreach, promotion, information, and knowledge-based expertise. Monmouth Arts is Monmouth County’s official arts agency dedicated to improving the quality-of-life for all those who live, work, and visit here by connecting the arts, artists, and the community.
Opportunities offered throughout the year include scholarships, individual grants, organizational grants, and exhibitions. Please contact Submittable directly if you have questions with the online form. For more information about these opportunities or about Monmouth Arts, please go to our website at www.monmoutharts.org.
Monmouth Arts Presents The Charles Sills Memorial Group Art Exhibit: Belonging
Center for Visual Arts Gallery at Brookdale Community College
Friday, November 11, 2022 to Thursday, December 15, 2022
Opening Reception: Friday, November 11, from 6-8:00pm
Monmouth Arts invites members to submit work for an exhibition to be held at the Center for Visual Arts Gallery at Brookdale Community College. Through art we can tell new stories and further important conversations that enrich our sense of community. These connections can help us transcend crises, empower and connect us. How can artists shape how we imagine and celebrate a collective vision of belonging? We invite the vibrant, creative community of Monmouth County to submit works that explore those ideas and embody a sense of Belonging. Those artists interested in submitting must be current members of Monmouth Arts and agree to the exhibition guidelines.
Monmouth Arts is pleased to be showcasing this year’s curated group exhibit in the CVA Gallery at Brookdale Community College. The exhibition will be curated by Elisa Elorza, CVA Gallery Coordinator.
Now in its fifth year, the annual member group exhibit is being named The Charles Sills Memorial Group Art Exhibit. Dr. Charles Sills was a painter, sculptor, collector, and supporter of the arts. He retired from his role as the Chief of Surgery at Monmouth Medical Center in 2000. His work has been shown at many galleries in Monmouth County and he won awards from New York's Allied Artists of America as well as Knickerbocker Artists.
- Accepted work includes drawing, mixed media, painting, fine crafts, photography, lithographs, and sculpture.
- No submission fee, but current membership with Monmouth Arts is required. Artists who would like to become new members and submit may use the discount code BELONG10 to receive $10 off the $40 artist membership rate. For more information and an online membership form, please go to www.monmoutharts.org/join-us. Student memberships are free.
- Artwork must have been made in the last five years and not have been presented in past Monmouth Arts exhibitions. Reproductions of original works will not be accepted.
- Drop off and pick up of accepted work to and from the Center for Visual Arts at Brookdale is the responsibility of the artist.
- Artwork sold through Belonging is subject to a 30% fee to support Monmouth Arts programming. Monmouth Arts will collect the purchase price for all work, take a 30% sales commission, and issue a check for the remainder to the artist at the close of the exhibition.
- Submissions must be entered through Submittable. After reading the guidelines on this page, you will find the link to create or log in to your Submittable account. There is no cost to create a Submittable account.
- Submissions are limited to a maximum of three (3) entries.
- Submissions must include contact information, artist statement, artwork information (title, media, size (H x W x D), year completed, and price (must indicate NFS if not for sale).
- Images of artwork must be JPEG format with resolution of 300 dpi/ppi. Rename images with Title_EntryNumber_Media_SIze_Year_Price.
- Wall-hung items must be appropriately framed, edges adequately finished and must be properly wired as the hanging medium. No saw-tooth hangers or metal eyelets will be accepted. Frames must be free of defects and of “sturdy” construction. Canvas wrapped paintings are acceptable (not raw canvas edges.)
- Three-dimensional works must be stable and stand on their own or be submitted with adequate display stands. Three-dimensional artwork cannot exceed 5′ h x 3′ w and not weigh more than 75 pounds.
- All work must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
Application Open: September 23, 2022
Application Deadline: Monday, October 17, 4:00pm
Notifications: Monday, October 24
Artwork Dropoff at CVA: Friday, November 4 (3pm-6pm) and Sunday, November 6 (9am-12pm)
Opening Reception: Friday, November 11, 6pm - 8pm
Exhibit Dates: November 11 - December 15 *
Artwork Pickup: Friday, December 16 (3pm-6pm) and Saturday, December 17 (9am-12pm)
* Please note that if a physical show is not possible due to COVID-19 restrictions we will pivot to a virtual format.
Please read and accept the complete Terms and Conditions from Monmouth Arts and The Center for Visual Arts Gallery at Brookdale Community College included in the application form.
For assistance or questions about submitting please contact Connie Isbell, Membership & Community Engagement Director, at email@example.com; 732.212.1890 ext 3.